Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Revamped Wooden Stools

When I saw this stool on Craigslist this past weekend, I knew I had to have it. And there wasn't just one bar stool, but there were three! The price? Only $10 per stool. Done deal!
While they were perfectly cute the way they were, I just can't settle for ordinary anymore. I've been on the best "painting spree" these past few weeks, so plain furniture just isn't cutting it. I immediately painted them the moment I got home and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.
Are you ready to see how I transformed this regular old stool into something new and chic?
(Ta Da!)
I painted and re-covered all three stools in one day, while finishing up some other projects in between. If you haven't already guessed by now, I am pretty obsessed with the color turquoise. This is a little bit lighter than the turquoise I've used in the past but it matches a dining hutch I am currently working on PERFECTLY! I created my own chalk board paint using a recipe I found online. It's taken me a few projects to finally perfect it, and I would say it was done just right on these stools.
To get started, I removed each seat by turning the stool upside down and unscrewing the wicker pads from the chair. Next, I wiped down each stool with a mix of hot water and white vinegar. When it was dry, I lightly sanded each stool. I've always skipped this step in the past but I'm noticing that the paint sticks so much better when it has a sanded surface. Then I mixed my paint. I used a small can of Behr flat interior paint that I already had in Martha Stewart's "Sunken Pool" color. I poured 1 cup of paint into a separate container and added in 2 tablespoons of dry white non-sanded tile grout. I mixed all the paint using an old whisk. Not sure why I never thought of the whisk before but I'll tell you what, I have finally gotten all the lumps out of the paint!
First Coat
I used a small "detail" paint brush, which makes it a lot easier to paint around the rails. It was only $5 at Home Depot and seriously worth it. I put on a very light coat, just enough to be somewhat of a primer coat.
While the first coat was drying I got started on re-covering the wicker seats. I took each seat and placed it on the stool to make note of where the front of the seat was. Then I turned each seat over and used a Sharpie to mark where the front, back, right, and left area was. This is a really important step, because I made the mistake of not doing this on the first seat and guess what... I put the fabric on backwards. What a pain in the behind that was to remove! Luckily it's just staples but it's still unnecessary work!
 I put the marked seat face-down onto my fabric which was also laying face-down. I cut the fabric all the way around to give me enough fabric to pull over the sides and staple. There's really no trick to it, you just pull the fabric as tightly as you can and staple that sucker down! I prefer to do the top and bottom and save the sides for last.
After my seats were finished and my first coat had dried, I lightly sanded the chairs. Then I applied my second and final coat of paint. Once dried, I used my Annie Sloan clear furniture wax and applied a thin layer to each stool.
I know I get ridiculously excited over each and every project but I am just so happy with how these turned out! Not only was it inexpensive but it was quick and easy.
Supplies Used:
1 can of Behr flat paint in Martha Stewart's "Sunken Pool" color
1 small "detailing" paint brush
Fine sand paper
Annie Sloan clear furniture wax
1 clean rag (for applying wax)
2 yards of fabric. I purchased my chevron fabric from Hobby Lobby for $5.00 a yard (I had a coupon).Staple gun & staples
With Love,
Meghan XoXo


1 comment: